Bill of Responsibilities
From: Rob Lanphier (User:RobLa) Date: 03:26, 30 October 2020 (UTC) Subject: The "Bill of Responsibilites"
Online forums benefit greatly from a "code of conduct" to spell out rules for acceptable behavior to achieve the goals of the forum. Some online forums are for recreation (e.g. Facebook walls) and some are intended to be productive (like electowiki)
The "Bill of Responsibilities" is designed to become a generic "Code of Conduct" framework.
Definitions[edit | edit source]
- "Bill of Responsibilites - the page you are reading now has the current list. I may stop at 10 (to make it similar to the "Bill of Rights"), or I might keep adding more and more to this list.
- "Forum" - A "Forum" in this document is a wiki, mailing list, or other online discusssion forum. These will all be referred to as "Forum" for purposes of this document.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Below is a list of the current rules in the "Bill of Responsibilities". For each rule, there is a link to a webpage describing the rule more fully.
- Rule A - With freedom of speech comes the responsibility to use it wisely
- Rule B - There is no "undo" on the Internet
Draft rules[edit | edit source]
The following rules haven't yet been promoted to "letter" status.
- Added November 2020
- (Draft Rule 20201103a) -- Attack mistruths, but don't attack your opponent. Seek clarity in truth.
- (Draft Rule 20201103b) -- Pointing out a mistake can be pointy
- (Draft Rule 20201103c) -- Keep your emotions in check
- (Draft Rule 20201103d) -- Other people are the authority on their emotions
- (Draft Rule 20201103e) -- Don't burn bridges, and don't hide under them
- Added October 2020
- (Draft Rule 20201030a) -- You may be bigger than everyone else, but someone smaller may have a point
History[edit | edit source]
Back April 2020, this document mainly existed in my head. I did a little bit more work in May and June over on electowiki . Now, in October 2020, I've been finding more-and-more reasons to make this work.
There are elements that took shape over on electowiki. But I think this is starting to become useful. I see it as a framework that I hope to use to update the electowiki:Code of Conduct, on the electowiki:Election-methods mailing list, and even on my Facebook wall (at https://www.facebook.com/robla).
- Draft 2020-11-03a (00:33, 4 November 2020 (UTC)) -- adding #Draft rules section, with several rules copied from Talk:Bill of Responsibilities, and some copyediting on this history section
- Draft 2020-10-29a -- restarting work; updated dates and minor copyediting
- Draft 2020-06-11a -- copied from "User:RobLa/BResp" on electowiki to this page ("Bill of Responsibilities" on roblawiki)
- Draft 2020-04-15a -- Started fleshing out Rule B, and coming up with a template for the rules.
- Draft 2020-04-10a -- Added Rule B
- Draft 2020-03-04a -- initial version